VIRTUAL BIRKIE AT SNOWFLAKE
- This year, skiers participating in the American Birkebeiner, Korteloppet, and Prince Haakon events have a “Virtual” option, to ski the event at a venue other than Cable-Hayward.
- Snowflake Nordic Ski Center has signed-on to be a “level-2 Virtual Venue”
- This means that we will provide groomed trails for Birkie event participants.
- Skiers may complete the required distances for their event, within the allowed time, on any day between Saturday 20 Feb and Sunday 28 Feb 2021.
- Registered skiers have already received race info, but to remind, the Birkie Skiers must complete 43K, Kortie Skiers 26K, and Prince Haakon Skiers 14K.
- I have repeatedly measured our two trails, the 6K and 8K, and found them to be slightly less than 6K and 8K, but within a tolerable accuracy for this unusual year.
- Purists will want to carry and monitor a GPS tracker to achieve exact distance skied.
- Skiers have the freedom to choose how they plan their course to reach the required distance, but I’ve done the numbers and have the following suggestions:
- 43K Birkie: Ski the 8K X 4 and the 6K X 2, or the 8K X 3 plus the 6K X 3 plus an extra trip around Special K.
- 26K Korteloppet: Ski the 8K X 1 plus the 6K X 3
- 14K Prince Haakon: Ski the 8K X 1 plus the 6K X 1
- Please note that the 6K includes skiing the Biathlon Loop and Special K.
Please note that the following events, which were rescheduled due to the frigid week past, will affect trail/course availability, and factor this into your planning!
- Sunday, 2/21- Biathlon Meet 11-4: the Biathlon loop will be closed
- Monday, 2/22- All trails will close at 6 pm for High School Race Course Prep
- Tuesday, 2/23- High School Race, All trails closed all day until the race is done. We must then re-groom the trails and reset the classic track
- Also consider that weekends are fairly busy, especially in mild temps.
In consideration of the above, and looking at the forecast weather, I’d suggest that Wednesday 2/24, Thursday 2/25, or Friday 2/26 will be the best days to ski your event at Snowflake.
On those dates we will unlock the chalet at 7 am and Skier Participants wearing their event bib will be permitted to use the chalet for gear storage and changing clothes after the event. Masks are required, standard social distancing, and ONLY THE SKIER PARTICIPANT MAY ENTER THE CHALET.
- There is no additional cost to DNSC/Snowflake Members.
- Non-Members are required to purchase a 1 day guest pass ($10 cash or check) at the chalet door.
- Skiers are responsible for their own timing.
If you plan to ski your event at Snowflake, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Name, Event, and the Day/Date that you plan to ski it.
GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN, ENJOY OUR TRAILS!