CAMPING AT SNOWFLAKE
We have 23 “Primitive” ( Tent Pads and a Fire-ring ), Walk-In campsites on our property, in a natural wooded area, just 15 minutes from Canal Park and downtown Duluth. We open to camping in May, and remain open until we get enough snow to groom the ski trails. Many campsites are located within 200 ft of our chalet and parking lots, or more remote if you desire. The lower level of the chalet is open to campers 24/7 and offers Boys’ and Girls’ bathrooms, with showers, fresh potable water, and electrical outlets for charging your gadgets. The lower level also affords safe haven in event of severe weather.
Our campsites will accommodate 1-2 Four-Person tents, or 1 Six-Person tent. If you want to set-up a camp with more than 2 tents, or a large “Family Tent”, we can set you up on our athletic field and provide a fire-ring at the site.
Our Camping Rate is: $20/night for 1 Tent/site or $30/night for 2 Tents/site. Campers staying for a week will get the 7th night free. For large groups on the field, we will base the rate on the number of tents and length of stay. We do not raise our rates during high-demand weekends and early reservations are recommended.
To reserve a campsite:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your requested dates, number of tents/campsites, and any special requests. We will reply to confirm availability and inform you of the required deposit.
- Mail your deposit – which will be the first night’s fee – cash or U.S. bank check payable to “DNSC – Snowflake” to:
c/o John Graham
1526 Woodcrest Drive
Duluth MN 55804-1423
- Reservations will be void if deposit is not received by three days from arrival.
In most cases, arriving campers will use our Self Check-in Honor System. Upon arrival:
- Drive up to the upper parking lot in front of the chalet.
- Reserved campsite assignments will be posted next to the front door.
- Open the “Self Check-in box” (mounted by the door), take a Registration envelope and fill it out completely. Put the balance of your payment in the envelope, seal it, and drop it through the slot at the rear of the box.
- There is a Campsite Status board next to the door; an orange washer indicates “Reserved” or “Occupied”; a green washer indicates open and available. If you are a walk-on camper, choose an “Available” campsite, fill-out the Registration envelope and enclose payment. Then flip the washer over to the orange side.
- Campers with Reservations may switch to any other Available campsite, if you wish. Please update the status board if you do.
- The upper parking lot ifs for arrival and departures only. Please move your vehicle to one of the lower lots after unloading your gear.
- Bundled firewood is available on the porch of the chalet at $5/bundle. You may pay when you check-in, or deposit cash into the slot as you need firewood. Campers are welcome to collect and burn downed wood.
Behavior and Decorum
We want all of our campers to enjoy a relaxed and safe stay at Snowflake, and also respect the property, so the rules are simple and few:
- No vehicles beyond the parking lots – they damage the ski trails.
- No unattended fires – if you leave the property, douse your fire.
- No smoking, no drugs, if you drink – drink responsibly.
- No foul language, and keep the noise down.
- Keep a clean campsite and dispose of your trash in the bins before you leave.Pack-up your food at night: we share Snowflake with wildlife.
- Respect your fellow campers and their property.
- Biking is not permitted on the trails, but all 15 km are open to hiking. The Duluth Traverse Bike Trail may be accessed just 5 minutes from Snowflake.
For accurate conditions, please refer to: Weather Report
Snowflake Nordic Ski Center, 4348 Rice Lake Road, Duluth, MN 55811